Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Well of Ascension

So I know I said my next Sanderson fan piece would be either Kaladin or Vasher...but I had the opportunity to redesign a book cover for my Illustration I class, and my Way of Kings thumbnails weren't panning out to my teachers liking. He did however like my idea for a mistborn cover, and I gravitated toward the Well of Ascension cover (I like big swords). After a large amount of changes and revamps and fixes, I ended up with this.


As per usual, I took some liberties. The mistcloak is tied around her waist, resembling the one on the hardcover Well of Ascension book, with a touch of the semi-official inkthinker version thrown in also. The coin trails were hard to capture in this style, but I think they got across well enough. As for who the person in the foreground is? Well, I'll leave that up to interpretation. Is it a random person? A random mistling? A particular mistborn sociopath? Never know. Regardless, I struggled with the type face for this cover. I'm not a graphic designer, although I would desperately like a class on typography in illustration. Here was my attempt.


Questionable for sure. My design friends would probably kill me. Sorry Jamie.

5 comments:

  1. The sword is very out of place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love this interpretation of the cover, I stumbled upon this blog, and I cannot tell you how excited I am to see Mistborn fanart since I don't know too many people who've read it. Keep up the great art btw, there is some amazing stuff on here :)

    ReplyDelete